My interests are in the area of social psychology and health, where I am currently investigating goal conflict as a barrier to regular physical activity. I have also worked in the area of healthy aging and have a long-term interest in topics such as perceived control, collective self-esteem, and social comparison. With my students, I have also recently been investigating how positive psychological concepts of autonomous motivation and self-compassion are related to defensive cognition and risk perception. I thank the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada and Sport Canada for support of my work.
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Health Psychology
- Life Satisfaction, Well-Being
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Self and Identity
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Bailis, D. S., & Chipperfield, J. G. (2006). Emotional and self-evaluative effects of social comparison information in later life: How are they moderated by collective self-esteem? Psychology and Aging, 21, 291-302.
- Bailis, D. S., Chipperfield, J. G., & Helgason, T. R. (2008). Collective self-esteem and the onset of chronic conditions and activity reduction in a longitudinal study of aging. Social Science and Medicine, 66, 1817-1827.
- Bailis, D. S., Chipperfield, J. G., & Perry, R. P. (2005). Optimistic social comparisons of older adults low in primary control: A prospective analysis of hospitalization and mortality. Health Psychology, 24, 393-401.
- Bailis, D. S., Chipperfield, J. G., Perry, R. P., Newall, N., & Haynes, T. (2008). Exploring the commonalities between adaptive resources and self-enhancement in older adults' social-comparative judgments of physical activity. Journal of Aging and Health, 20, 899-919.
- Bailis, D. S., Fleming, J. A., & Segall, A. (2005). Self-determination and functional persuasion to encourage physical activity. Psychology and Health, 20, 691-708.
- Bailis, D. S., & Segall, A. (2004). Self-determination and social comparison in a health-promotion setting. Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 26, 25-33.
- Bailis, D. S., Segall, A., & Chipperfield, J. G. (2010). Age, relative autonomy, and change in health locus of control beliefs: A longitudinal study of members of a health-promotion facility. Journal of Health Psychology, 15, 326-338.
- Bailis, D. S., Segall, A., & Chipperfield, J. G. (2003). Two views of self-rated general health status. Social Science and Medicine, 56, 203-217.
- Bailis, D. S., Segall, A., Chipperfield, J. G., & Mahon, M. J., & Dunn, E. M. (2001). Perceived control in relation to socioeconomic and behavioral resources for health. Social Science and Medicine, 52, 1661-1676.
- Bailis, D. S., Thacher, T. M., Aird, N., & Lipschitz, L. J. (2011). Affective and behavioral traces of goal conflict with physical activity. Basic and Applied Social Psychology.
- Newall, N. E. G., Chipperfield, J. G., & Bailis, D. S. (2013, July 26). Predicting stability and change in loneliness in later life. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1177/0265407513494951
- Newall, N. E. G., Chipperfield, J. G., Bailis, D. S., & Stewart, T. L. (2012, August 13). Consequences of loneliness on physical activity and mortality in older adults and the power of positive emotions. Health Psychology. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1037/a0029413
- Schellenberg, B. J. I., & Bailis, D. S. (in press). Predicting longitudinal trajectories of academic passion in first-year university students. Learning and Individual Differences.
- Schellenberg, B. J. I., & Bailis, D. S. (in press). The two roads of passionate goal pursuit: links with appraisal, coping, and academic achievement. Anxiety, Stress, and Coping.
- Schellenberg, B. J. I., & Bailis, D. S. (2014). Can passion be polyamorous? The impact of having multiple passions on subjective well-being and emotional experiences. Journal of Happiness Studies.
- Schellenberg, B. J. I., Bailis, D. S., & Crocker, P. R. E. (2013). Passionate hockey fans: Appraisals of, coping with, and attention paid to the 2012-2013 National Hockey League lockout. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 14, 842-846. doi: 10.1016/j.psychsport.2013.06.004
- Schellenberg, B. J. I., Gunnell, K. E., Mosewich, A. D., & Bailis, D. S. (2014). Measurement invariance of the Passion Scale across three samples: An ESEM approach. Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science, 18, 242-258
- Swift, A. U. A. A., Bailis, D. S., Chipperfield, J. G., Ruthig, J. C., & Newall, N. (2008). Gender differences in the adaptive influence of compensatory control beliefs: A longitudinal study of life satisfaction. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science, 40, 104-112.
- Thacher, T. M., & Bailis, D. S. (2012). Selective defensiveness or nondefensiveness: How does relative autonomy relate to excuse-making when goal pursuits do not succeed? Motivation and Emotion, 36, 323-337.
- Bailis, D. S., & Chipperfield, J. G. (2012). Hope and optimism. In V. S. Ramachandran (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Human Behaviour (2nd ed., Chapter 193, 28 ms pp.). Oxford, UK: Elsevier.
- Design and Analysis for Psychological Experiments
- Health Psychology
- Honours Research Seminar
- Social Psychology 1
- Social Psychology 2
- Social Psychology and Health
Department of Psychology
University of Manitoba
P407 Duff Roblin Building, 190 Dysart Road
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2
- Phone: (204) 474-9360
- Fax: (204) 474-7917